Accounting Assistant Intern
Finding an internship abroad in accounting is not an easy task. Indeed, this discipline demands strong rigorousness and an interest to work with numbers and figures. The accounting assistant intern fulfills his missions under the responsibility of the company’s accountant or chief financial officer. He assists him with the broad range of tasks involved in overseeing the company’s cash flow. Thus, his activities are diversified as they cover following expenses, entries and the company’s financial health as well. An accounting internship would definitely help to develop your skills and abilities.
Tasks of an Accounting Intern
Here are the main tasks that an accountant intern can undertake:
- Follow-up of the company’s cash flow.
- Issuing invoices for clients.
- Planning and receiving payments.
- Controlling expenses according to the budget.
- Follow-up with the company’s financial health.
- Issuing and presenting the company’s balance sheet.
- Proposing solutions to improve financial results.
- Controlling the gap between expected and actual entries.
- As an accounting assistant, you will have to help the manager in all of his tasks.
In order to get an accounting internship abroad, students must be enrolled in an appropriate course as this field is quite technical and specific.
Thus, students in accounting (or accountancy) have the relevant profile as they are acquiring key skills for this domain. From the Bachelor’s in Accounting degree to the Master’s in Accountancy degree… Different levels of studies offer a major in finance with different specialties. Obviously, the further you are in your education, the more responsibilities you can expect during your internship. Business schools or universities may offer a program leading to those degrees.
Skills and Qualities
Some qualities are mandatory to get an accounting internship abroad.
First of all, you obviously need some strong knowledge about finance and accountancy. It is about mastering methods and main principles of this discipline. Even if you are not an expert yet, having a solid basis is required.
Then, you must have a certain sense of rigor. The company’s account must be overseen very precisely. Even the smallest mistake can eventually become a big mistake when you manipulate the company’s cash flow. For instance, invoices must be issued respecting some rules in order to be valid: client’s names, amount of the transaction, the designation of the product or service bought… Thus, the accountant’s organization is a mandatory asset.
On the other hand, you must be comfortable with computers. Gone are the days when accountants were maintaining accounts thanks to their pen and notebook. Nowadays, the financial manager uses the more reliable and automated solution provided by software. He handles them on a daily basis.
Finally, your interest for figures is determining. This discipline requires to use them constantly. Yet, if you don’t like using them, this internship might no be made for you!
Accounting rules and methods
Rigour and Organisation
Local language (if required)
Skills developed during a Finance internship abroad
After an internship abroad within a company’s finance department, you will have developed several skills.
Of course, your knowledge in financial management will develop. You will apply the main principles learnt in school. There is no better way to improve then by getting hands on experience. You will be taught how to hold accounts, issue invoices, receive payments, participate in the reporting … Basics, or even more, of accountancy, will be covered by this professional experience.
Given that the internship takes place abroad, you will have the opportunity to improve your language skills. English, Spanish, German… it will depend on your destination. Nowadays, it is important to fluently master English, or even a second language. Working in a team and in contact with clients will allow you to exchange and interact with foreign people daily. In the field, your ability to speak would improve rapidly. Of course, it will also allow you to add a new asset to your CV. Companies are more and more internationalized and their target markets are spread worldwide. It is a mandatory competency on the job market.
Finally, you will be able to develop a whole new set of cross-disciplinary skills for your future career. Adaptability, as you will live in a country with a different culture and working methods. But also, your interpersonal rigor, figures manipulation, organization… just to mention a few. All these values will be useful for your future, professionally as well as personally.
A finance assistant or a finance consultant is always welcome in a company, as the managers always need some help with completing all the tasks.
- Our accounting assistant internships are available all year long. You can be in the end of your studies, in a gap year or in-between two academic years, we can find what you’re looking for!
- It is better to apply about 2 months before the start of your internship. The idea is to have as many internship options and destinations to your disposal as possible.
- Most of our accountant internships are available for 6 months. As tasks need a proper training, companies are looking for students for a longer period. Yet, it is sometimes possible to negotiate a 5 months internships with some partners. Occasionally, we have this kind of internship for a duration of 3 to 6 months.
- Click on the button up here and search for your next finance internship !
This is just general information and trends, the best in order to have a full feedback on what you are looking for, is to contact one of our consultants via: email@example.com