The entertainer intern abroad in a hotel deals with all the activities offered by the hotel to its customers. Form the organization to leading the activity, he is the main actor of these activities. The idea is to come up with new sports or recreational activities which would interest different customer groups. To make sure it is a success, he is also in charge of promoting these activities. If customers participate, your mission is successful!
Tasks of an Entertainment Intern
Here are the different tasks that an entertainment intern can perform:
- Organizing sports activities: volleyball tournament, aerobic, fitness, aqua gymnastics, tennis…
- Bringing the needed materials and storing them after the activity.
- Creating new activities which might entertain clients: workshops, shows, events, games for children…
- Leading activities: explaining rules, helping, acting as a referee…
- Promoting activities in the hotel so that customers participate.
- Answering questions from hotel’s guests about activities or random information.
Various fields of study can fit with this kind of internship. The best option is following tourism studies at a university or in a specialized school. Yet, in general, hotels are more interested in your soft skills than your education. Thus, if you are looking for an internship to practice your English, you can apply, regardless of your field of study. You will have the opportunity to discover the hospitality industry and speak with international customers daily.
Skills and Qualities
Yes, your soft skills are your main asset!
First of all, you need a strong customer service orientation. Your contact with hotel guests will be an important aspect of your internship and you will have to answer their questions with courtesy and respect. Moreover, they will sometimes have unusual requests that you would have to answer with great diplomacy. In fact, clients must see you as someone sympathetic who they can refer to when they have a problem.
Furthermore, your ability to communicate is a key factor in the success of your application. If you are shy and don’t like to speak in public, this internship is not made for you. You need to be able to motivate and convince. This means your “business sense” is important too, in order to make your activities attractive to customers.
Your dynamism is also determining. You will have to make your activities fun and exciting. You will sometimes have to invest some energy to lead activities. If customers are bored, they will not come for the next event/activity you will organize. So, try to make your program interesting and dynamic!
Finally, tenacity must be one of your personality traits. Sometimes, one of your ideas will not result in a success. It can happen that no one or just a few guests subscribe to your activity. Maybe you did not promote the event sufficiently or the guest were not free at the moment. Don’t give up! You will learn from this experience and the next event will be a success!
Local language (if required)
Skills developed during an Entertainment internship abroad
An internship abroad as an entertainer will allow you to progress in various fields.
First of all, you will learn how to be organized because you will manage your own activities in autonomy, and sometimes a few at the same time. You will improve your presentation skills and know how to adopt a professional attitude with clients. But it is with your business sense that you will manage to convince them. You will learn how to make your activities attractive and to generate buzz around them. Finally, you will have to be creative. You will take initiatives to imagine new animations and surprise customers.
Given that the internship will be abroad, you will have the opportunity to improve your language skills. English, Spanish, German… it will depend on your destination. Nowadays, it is important to fluently master English, or even a second language. Working in a team and in contact with clients will allow you to exchange and interact with foreign people daily. In the field, your ability to speak would improve rapidly. Of course, it will also allow you to add a new asset to your CV. Companies are more and more internationalized and their target markets are spread worldwide. It is a mandatory competency on the job market.
Finally, you will be able to develop a whole new set of cross-disciplinary skills for your future career. Adaptability, as you will live in a country with a different culture and working methods. But also, your customer and business orientations, organization, creativity… just to mention a few. All these values will be useful for your future, professionally as well as personally.
- If you want to be an entertainer in a European hotel, the demand is higher during the summer. Vacationers are looking for accommodations abroad and hotels are trying to meet their expectations. Thus, the energy you could bring would surely interest them!
- If you are more interested in an internship outside of Europe, the high season can differ. Each destination has its own characteristics concerning tourism. The best option is to find information on when tourists are visiting the country you consider going to. In general, hotels from sunny places are open all year long!
- It is better to apply about 2 months before the start of your internship. The idea is to have as many internship options and destinations to your disposal as possible.
- The entertainer internship abroad can last from 1 to 6 months. It depends on our partner companies and their requirements.
Please, don’t forget that these are just trends and advice. The best you can do is ask one of our consultants for more information regarding your internship possibilities: email@example.com
At PIC Management we offer the following destinations for an internship abroad in entertainment in hotels: Baleares (Spain), Canarias (Spain), Mexico, Latin America. Discover all our entertainer internships abroad.