Assistant Manager Internship – Administrative assistant
An administrative assistant internship in hospitality acts as the right-hand man of the manager. He plays the facilitator role so that the manager’s day can happen without any trouble. The latter having sometimes lots of open files, the assistant can also help him for some tasks. From administrative work to organizing the agenda, the position is quite versatile. Obviously, according to the field of expertise of the manager, tasks may vary. With an hotel internship you would highly increase your knowledge in the touristic sector and enrich your resume.
Tasks of an Assistant Manager Intern in Hospitality
Here are the different tasks that can be expected during a management internship in hospitality:
- Helping in the organization of the schedule/agenda.
- Helping in the organization of business travels.
- Receiving, reading and sorting by priority emails and mails.
- Answering phone calls.
- Preparing meetings.
- Debriefing and reports after meetings.
- Administrative tasks relating to the manager’s department: front office, food & beverage, human resources, marketing…
- Supporting managers on various tasks requiring workforce.
Different field of studies may allow you to do an internship abroad as an administrative assistant within the hospitality industry.
Let’s start with the most obvious, the specific degree preparing to be an assistant manager. It is a short cycle of studies after high school, usually it lasts 2 years. It prepares for this position no matter what the sector of the company is.
This internship is also accessible to students in tourism or hospitality. Indeed, it can be a very interesting experience to discover the manager’s position. It is even more attractive for those who want to know more about a more strategic position.
Finally, students in management in the university or business schools can also apply. It is a good way to discover fundamentals of management especially in first or second year.
Different fields of studies may allow you to do an internship abroad as an administrative assistant.
Skills and Qualities
Doing an assistant manager internship abroad demands specific qualities.
First of all, you need to be organized and autonomous. This position includes a lot of different tasks. Sometimes, you will have to manage different things at the same time. The idea is to be able to carry out these activities without losing efficiency. You have to be able to sort your actions by order of priority and manage your time. All of this in autonomy. Of course, your manager will be here to support you, provide you a training and answer your question.
This kind of internship also includes a lot of interrelations with other people, from your company or third-parties. The assistant manager intern in hospitality converses with them on a daily basis in order to plan a business trip or an appointment for instance. You therefore need good communication and interpersonal skills.
Finally, your English level should already be advanced. Indeed, you will need to understand requests and to answer them with precision.
Administration and Organisation
Local language (if required)
Skills developed during an Assistant Manager internship abroad
This experience will allow you to develop new abilities.
You will improve in management because you will be taught how to manage few things at the same time, organize your work and be autonomous. You will be able to discover administrative management and human resources management. Indeed, working in close collaboration with an experienced manager is the best way to acquire new skills. According to your manager’s domain of expertise, you will also discover more about this topic. If he is responsible for the communication or the marketing of the company for example, you will learn about it. This can be really useful if you plan to follow your studies or even your career in this field!
On the other hand, if you study tourism or hospitality, you may have interests. This internship will allow you to discover management practices and the functioning of a hotel in general.
Given that the internship will be abroad, you will have the opportunity to improve your language skills. English, Spanish, German… it will depend on your destination. Nowadays, it is important to fluently master English, or even a second language. Working in a team will allow you to exchange and interact with foreign people daily. In the field, your ability to speak would improve rapidly. Of course, it will also allow you to add a new asset to your CV. Companies are more and more internationalized and their target markets are spread worldwide. Even in France, it is a mandatory competency on the job market.
Finally, you will be able to develop a whole new set of cross-disciplinary skills for your future career. Adaptability, as you will live in a country with a different culture and working methods. But also, your teamwork, organization, autonomy… just to mention a few. All these values will be useful for your future, professionally as well as personally.
- If you want to be an assistant manager intern in hospitality in a European hotel, demand is higher during the summer. Vacationers are looking for accommodation abroad and hotels are trying to meet their expectations. Thus, the energy you could bring would surely interest them!
- Our assistant internships are available all year long. You can be in the end of your studies, in a gap year or between two academic years, we can find what you’re looking for !
- If you are more interested in an internship outside of Europe, high season can be different. Each destination has its own characteristics concerning tourism. The best option is to find information on when tourists are visiting the country considered. In general, hotels from sunny places are open all year long!
- It is better to apply around 2 months before the beginning of your internship. The idea is to have the most options possible as destinations.
- Most of our assistant manager internships are available for from 3 to 6 months.In Europe, it is quite hard to find this internship for less than 4 months.
Please, don’t forget that these are just trends and advice. The best thing to do is ask for information to one of our consultants: [email protected]
We offer the following destinations for an internship abroad as an assistant manager in hospitality: Spain, Czechia, Malta, Mexico and South America.
Discover here all our assistant manger internships in hospitality abroad.