Information before a student internship in Spain

Internship in Spain

If you already have a paid internship in Spain or if you are still looking for internships in Spain, this information could help you to know more about this beautiful country.

Spain is divided in 17 parts called autonomous communities, each with its own Executive, Legislative and Judicial Power.


46,354,321 inhabitants in year 2016 (ranked 30th)


505,990 km2 (ranked 51st)




As Spain is part of the EU (EUR, €) the country adopted the Euro as the official currency. The VAT (Value added Tax) in Spain is 21% on goods and services. In restaurants and bars, it is common to leave a 5-10% Tip. The Euros as well as the VAT can be subject to fluctuations. Therefore, if you are a non-European citizen, it is always recommended to keep an eye on the exchange rates in case you plan to change currencies.

Internships in Spain available

Internship in Spain - Vacancies


From November to February, the weather in the Center of Spain can be found to be rather cold. In Andalucía and towards the coast the temperatures are increasingly mild and most Hotels surrounding the beaches are closed during this time of the year. In the months from March to May, as well as in September and October the weather is mild and clear weather with more sunny hours and less clouds during the day. From June to August the weather is increasingly warm and sunny with more humid temperatures around the coasts.

The best times for going to Spain

The best time for going to Spain depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a budget friendly holiday the best time to go is from September to November. During this time the many Hotels are closed and the ones that remain open lower their prices remarkably. If you would like to enjoy sunny, yet mild weather the best time to go would be from March to May or September and October. During this season you can enjoy many locally organized festivals and events. From June to August the weather is the hottest which attracts many tourists and leads to a peak in the prices for Hotel rooms and free time activities. Therefore, if you are trying to keep a student friendly budget, you should avoid these months of the year.

If you want to go during the warm season check this link about summer internship in Spain or ask us about more information

Time difference

of Madrid, follows the same time zone as for example Germany and many other central European countries such as Paris and Rome. Here the Central European Time (CET) is the normal time and the Central European Summer Time (CEST) is the summer time.

The Canary Islands, however, a different time zone applies. On the islands belonging to Spain, which lies off the Moroccan coast in the Atlantic, the Western European Time (WEZ) is the applicable local time and the Western European Summer Time (WESZ) as summer time. Therefore, it is always one hour earlier than on the Spanish mainland and in countries like Germany.

Phone and Internet

It is possible to use your mobile phone in Spain. The main phone and mobile data provider are Movistar, Vodafone and Orange. If you decide you use your local phone provider roaming charges will apply.
These so-called roaming charges apply for calls made in other EU countries and charge 5 cents per minute, 2 cents per SMS and 5 cents per transmitted megabyte data volume. Additionally, there is the valid VAT. A cheaper alternative is to purchase a SIM card from one of the mentioned providers and top-up your mobile data whenever it is needed.

For international calls:

To call to the Spain: 00 + 34 + number of the correspondent.

The emergency dial is 112 (no area code needed). This number can always be reached, even with a mobile without a Spanish SIM card. The number for the tourist helpline and emergency is: 902 102 112 through which you can reach English, French, German and Italian speakers on the Emergency line.

The Hotspots in Spain which you cannot miss

Discover all the must-see Travel destinations in Spain

Entry Requirements for Spain

Citizens from any country of the European Union, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein only need a valid national identity document or a valid passport. Citizens from the United Kingdom and Ireland will require a passport since their countries are not members of the Schengen Area.

If you are a citizen of a non-European, non-EEA country: the maximum stay in Spain is 90 days. There are a number of countries whose citizens are required to have a valid current visa in order to enter Spain. Citizens of these countries can also travel to Spain if they have a residence permit or a long-term visa issued by another country in the European Union (with the exception of the United Kingdom, Ireland, Romania, Bulgaria and Cyprus), Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Lichtenstein. For non-European and non-EEA citizen it is possible to get an unpaid internship for 90 days. Every longer internship period or paid internships require a working visa.

Good to know

If you don’t speak fluent Spanish, don’t worry at all! We also have spanish internships to help you to improve your language skills. So don’t miss the opportunity to get your Spain internship and contact us to get support!

Local information

Stay tuned about exhibitions, concerts and events, local restaurants and transportation and start feeling like a local in no time through these helpful and free apps: Spain is Culture, El Tenedor, Idealista, Duolingo.


Join Facebook groups of travelers and expats in Spain.

Pin It on Pinterest